Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

I Live! (Maybe)

I’m back in the world of regular chances to be online now, though I have to start the dayjob in about half an hour (and am running on short sleep) so today’s post is going to be on the short side. Regular service will return on Monday, likely with some kind of superhero. I was listening to podcasts during my “holiday” at my parents and was reminded of a couple movies I’ve seen and forgotten about. I’m going to have to do a rewatch of them before blogging about those, though. It’s been too long to remember anything accurately, and I was too new to superheroes at the time to have picked up on a lot.

Anyway, I spent an hour this morning talking with Dad about the WIP. Dad being a smart guy who understands narrative flow and troubleshooting and the problems inherent in writing groups who shoot down manuscripts. We came up with several ideas for how to fix The WIP, one of which is going to be finicky and involve a lot of tweaking, one of which turns it from a novel into a novella*, and one of which mashes the planned plot of Book 2 into Book 1, which will be a lot of writing but might actually go quickly because I’m not dealing with the same material over and over and over and over and….

I don’t know which to choose. I’m likely going to try them all, to a point. There are beta-made cuts that I need to deal with before I have the book in a form I can use as a launch point. I need to write a new denouement. I need to give the antagonist more of a back story. I may need to write a new first chapter. There are some other issues. And I’m not saying this so you can give me your opinion, though if you want to, I won’t and can’t stop you. I just have to say this to somebody, and I figure the occasional WIP-blog is okay.

In other news, I think I may have come up with a good title for the WIP, instead of the mediocre, kind of vague one I have now, and I’m hauling a bunch of my books home so my parents don’t have to move them. They’re going to be handy writing resources, or they’d better be because I swear they weigh about six tonnes.

* I pointed out that novellas are a hard sell. He said try it anyway.

No comments: